Our Backpacking Basics class is geared towards those who want to experience the thrill of a backpacking trip but aren't sure where to start or need a refresher. We will educate and guide you in all areas to help you begin your adventures. We will also teach skills and safety for day hikes. The following are examples of what you will learn:
- The importance of having an itinerary and what information is needed
- Trail alerts/ conditions
- Weather conditions and how to protect yourself
- Water sources and purification
- Food and storage
- Permit system / Trail ratings / Trail blazes
- How to safely set up camp
- Cooking and cleaning in the backcountry
- Personal hygiene
- First aid / First aid kit
- Gear basics
There will be hands-on experience portions, such as hanging a bear bag, cooking, and filtering water.
WHAT YOU GET
- Hands-on practice
- Training material
WHAT TO BRING
- Parking Fee $5.00
DIRECTIONS TO CAMPGROUND
Continue for 3 miles until you reach the Visitor Center. Across the street from the Visitor Center is the entrance to the Camp Ground.
*The best address to use for GPS is the Visitor Center: 2970 GA 190, Pine Mountain Valley, GA, 31823
PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR EVENTS AND CLASSES ARE HELD IN AN OUTDOOR RUSTIC ENVIRONMENT. BATHROOMS ON SITE.